one moment closer
Mar 6, 2003
I was thinking today about the cool places I have gone in the past few years. In just a few weeks I can add on a couple of other places visited.. If you have a few hours layover in another country, but can't leave the airport, does that count? If it does, then in less than 3 weeks I can say that I have been to Amsterdam and Germany also. Woohoo.

Here are some of my trip highlights from the past couple of years:

1. Spain. This has to be the coolest experience I have ever had. I spent 2 weeks in Spain with my high school right after I graduated. I was with several close friends of mine, one actually was one of my best friends all throughout high school, and we had planned on going to Spain all four years. I had my 18th birthday in Spain--Madrid, actually. We visited many places that we had studied about throughout high school, such as Franco's Valley of the Fallen, visited Velazquez's 'Las Meninas' at the Prado, spent the day in Toledo and saw El Escorial, and many many other places. We went to a bullfight and a flamenco dance, swam in the Mediterranean, and ate paella. I loved it so much that I didn't want to leave. I vowed to go back. One day, I want to live there. In 15 days I get to go back to Madrid, Toledo, and Salamanca. Madrid has so much to do, Toledo is steeped in history and beautiful buildings, and Toledo silver is basically the best stuff around. I can't wait to buy jewelry. Toledo was my favorite place from that trip. We also went to Salamanca, which is a college town. Perhaps I will do a study abroad program there, at La Universidad de Salamanca. Going back to all those three places. One day I will go to Barcelona, which is supposed to be the most beautiful place in all of Spain.. And I will visit southern Spain.. Sevilla, Granada... If I knew how to post pictures I would, but I don't know how to do that.

2. Alpine Valley. East Troy, Wisconsin. DMB. August 31st and September 1st, 2002. Plus a few days for chillin'. This was another awesome experience. I got to see my favorite band in the greatest venue in the Midwest, outside in the gorgeous summer weather. The person I went with is amazing, and we had a great time together. It was awesome to go to a concert with someone who is as into the band as you are.. then they don't think you are nuts, for one thing. They can actually appreciate all the little things about the show that a casual fan would not know. (Stop Time intro, Minarets tease, Stir It Up!!) It was amazing to see the band spontaneously bursting into a rendition of Bob Marley's 'Stir It Up'... Fonzi was doing the bassline, and the crowd picked it up and started singing it... Dave looks at Carter, figures what the hell?, and started singing it. This was incredibly rare, they had only done 'Stir It Up' 3 times prior to that, with all 3 of those occasions being in 1998. When the person you are with knows that too, they can understand why you are freaking out and freak out with you. They understand why you are a wierdo. ;) The shows were great, but that was only part of the weekend. We got to just hang out and spend time together and relax. Truly one of my best trips ever.

3. Missouri. June something through the day after my birthday, 2002. I went down to Missouri with Candace and Jax, and visited her family. We went to the river each day, swam, hung out.. floated around, caught minnows with Jaxon.. played with Candace's brother's dogs. Went horseback riding also, that was really neat. Just a very low key, relaxing few days. Schedule permitting, I may go down there again this summer.

Honorable mentions go to this past summer, driving to Pennsylvania with my family. It was an okay vacation. Hit up the historical spots such as the Liberty Bell in Philly. We went to visit Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater.. that was the highlight of the trip. Also visited a bunch of really famous skate spots, like Love Park... see em all the time in skate videos. Al was so excited. And although it was an alright vacation, I wouldn't do it again. (But don't tell them that.) We didn't do a whole lot but drive. Other highlights include trekking off to Wisconsin on numerous vacations to visit my mom's best friend and my great-aunt who lives up there.

Now for the fun part: Future trips.
Spain in two weeks. Alpine Valley shows on Fourth of July weekend. The Gorge, in George, Washington, the beginning of August. These are all pending tickets, of course. I may go down to Missouri again, but I am really not sure, because they are going down from the 13th of June til.. I am not sure, but I have to be back on the 17th because I am seeing Pearl Jam on the 18th. We will see, it will depend on funds and time and if it all works out.

This concludes the travel section of my blog for today. Haha. ;)
posted by liz @ 3:52:00 PM


Comments: Post a Comment
::links
OBAMA yes, we can!
quiz only blog
Green Party
CommonDreams
Moveon.org
EnvironmentalDefense
Sierra Club
TomTomorrow
ExplodingDog
PostSecret
Ryan Adams
Answering Bell
Ozomatli
Chris Campbell
David Gray
Puerta del Sol
Madrid!







choose a color:

*gray* *blue* *gold* *green* *red** random