one moment closer
Aug 25, 2006
this is from last night:

I actually was discussing with Matt the other day how Sufjan has been exhausted. He's a great artist, but really, he's no longer the indie king he was right after Illinois. I wouldn't say that the collective public as a whole is sick of him, I just think that after Illinois he had this Midas-touch syndrome going on and we all happily gobbled up anything that he threw our way.

After Illinois, when I heard he was coming out with Avalanche, all the versions of songs that didn't make it onto the album, I was really excited for this 'new' Sufjan material. But then when it rolled around that the album was out....I admit that I was kind of Sufjan-ed out. I took the summer off from Sufjan more or less; not to say that my love for him ever faded. Like any other relationship, I just needed a break. Came back from Mexico and heard that he was coming to town, but the show had already sold out. (Still looking for a ticket to his show next month, if you know anyone who has an extra. I'm not willing to pay the $60 that people are selling their tix for on craigslist. Ridiculous. But the people who sell tickets above face value is another rant for another blog.) Tonight I downloaded 3 alternate versions of Chicago off of Avalanche, and I've got the Sufjan bug again. At least for tonight.

My music obsessions often are mercurial. While I can't get enough of Chicago tonight, tomorrow I may not even want to hear Sufjan again for a while. Why do you think tonight is the first time I've really listened to anything off of The Avalanche, even though I could have had it in April if I wanted?

Prior to the Sufjan this evening I was on a huge Sunny Day Real Estate kick. Jeremy Enigk of SDRE is coming out with a solo album in October. I downloaded an upcoming track amd have been listening to it on repeat. His voice has an ethereal quality to it, and it reminded me of how much I love SDRE. Now WHY has it been so long since I sat down and listened to them?

The past hour I have been fluctuating between SDRE and Sufjan, and I am happy, as well as my ears.

That means it's time for bed.
posted by liz @ 11:33:00 AM


Comments: Post a Comment
::links
OBAMA yes, we can!
quiz only blog
Green Party
CommonDreams
Moveon.org
EnvironmentalDefense
Sierra Club
TomTomorrow
ExplodingDog
PostSecret
Ryan Adams
Answering Bell
Ozomatli
Chris Campbell
David Gray
Puerta del Sol
Madrid!







choose a color:

*gray* *blue* *gold* *green* *red** random